Your bed is supposed to be used for either intimacy or sleep. The essence of the furniture becomes defeated when you still lie late into the night punching on your phone or laptop – finding it hard to fall asleep.
If you find it hard to sleep at night, there are a few things you might need to do to change this condition naturally.
You do not necessarily need to live on drugs to help you have a good night rest but if you follow these steps, you are definitely going to experience improvement in the pattern and length of your sleep!
Let’s get to it:
- All electronics should be turned off at least 20 minutes to bedtime: when the room is already calm and silent without any electronic distraction, the brain has no other option but to push the body to fall asleep faster. A calm moment of reflection on your day’s activities easily opens the doors of sleep as we involuntarily ease into it.
- Avoid having caffeine after lunch: caffeine would set your system at a constant alert way past sleep time and must be avoided after lunch. Avoid energy drinks, coffee, sodas, tea or even chocolate after lunch if you want to enjoy a good and long sleep.
- Do not go beyond 2 cups of coffee daily: the more coffee you put into your system, the more alert you are bound to be and vice versa.
- Do not take any alcohol within 5-6 hours before going to bed.
- Nicotine is not only harmful to sleep patterns but also to the overall health and must be avoided.
- Going to bed hungry might keep you up for long. Also, eating a large chunk of a meal within 3 hours of bedtime can affect your sleep. So you should eat early and light!
- Ensure your environment favors good sleep – take care of things like switching off the lights, keeping the bed sheets clean and warm as well as having the room cool.
- Ear plugs, sleep masks and blackout curtains could also be useful.
- Living a healthy lifestyle and exercising at most 3 hours to bedtime can help improve sleep.
- Lastly, you must avoid taking naps if you want to sleep long enough at night. If you must nap, it shouldn’t be more than an hour.
Insomnia can also be combated with several drugs – but those might have a few side effects on the consumer. The above steps can help you enjoy a good night sleep naturally and regularly. Here’s to good night’s sleep!